Balancing Parenthood, Entrepreneurship, and Gaming with Graeme Barlow [Part One]
Hey, Family Brand community! Melissa here. Today, I had the pleasure of chatting with Graeme Barlow, a dynamic entrepreneur who’s been in the game (literally and figuratively) since he was 10 years old. Our conversation took a deep dive into balancing parenthood, entrepreneurship, and yes, even gaming.
Graeme and I first connected through a coaching program with Dan Martell. After hearing Graeme’s passionate speech about podcasting, I knew he had valuable insights to share with all of you. And boy, did he deliver!
We started off reminiscing about our younger days. For Graeme, online gaming wasn’t just a hobby; it was the beginning of his entrepreneurial journey. By the age of 16, he’d built and sold a business centered around online gaming. It’s a testament to the unexpected places passion can lead you. And for all the parents out there, it’s a reminder that sometimes our kids’ hobbies can turn into valuable life lessons.
Graeme’s journey didn’t stop there. He went on to build and sell a game development company, invest in early-stage businesses, and eventually join Iversoft, a software development company. Under his leadership, Iversoft has grown from a team of seven to over 50, with revenues nearing 10 million this year. Impressive, right?
But what truly caught my attention was Iversoft’s unique approach to work culture. In a world where the traditional 9-to-5 is the norm, Iversoft has embraced a four-day work week. This isn’t about cutting corners or reducing productivity. It’s about recognizing the value of flexibility, especially for parents. By defining core operating hours from 10 AM to 3 PM, Monday to Thursday, they’ve given their team the freedom to balance work with family life. And the results? Happier, more productive employees and a company that’s thriving.
Graeme’s story is a testament to the power of reimagining the way we work. It’s about challenging the status quo, recognizing the value of flexibility, and putting people first. If you’re curious to hear more about Graeme’s journey and insights, hit play to hear our full conversation! Don’t miss out on this enlightening chat.
P.S: To all the parents out there, next time your kid is deep into their gaming session, maybe, just maybe, they’re onto something big. 😉
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCGu-7odB6gkPbyXpUIQLkrg
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
NEW: What Culture are You Creating In Your Family?
- Take the Quiz Now! https://familybrand.com/quiz
LINKS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/graemebarlow?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==
- Press Kit: https://www.graemebarlow.com/press-kit
- Iversoft: https://www.iversoft.ca/
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 00:42 Introduction to special guest Graeme Barlow, an entrepreneur in gaming and software
- 02:57 Graeme’s backstory of becoming an entrepreneur at the age of 10
- 04:20 Graeme’s journey of building gaming businesses and selling them over the years
- 07:51 How gaming has so much potential for social connection and learning if done right
- 09:25 A look into Graeme’s company, Iversoft
- 10:54 Find out how Iversoft came to the decision to have 4 day work weeks
- 15:26 How to experiment in news ways as a entrepreneur and business owner
- 17:32 Having flexibility in your work schedule can massively make a good impact on productivity
- 19:45 Graeme’s tips for going to a four day schedule instead of 5 day schedule
- 22:25 How to connect with Graeme to chat about tech or software development
- 23:52 The challenges that come when being a parent and an entrepreneur
- 25:00 Melissa talks about how their parenting has evolved over the years
- 27:22 The value of perspective and patience as a parent
JOIN OUR FAMILY BRAND NEWSLETTER!
Join our Family Brand newsletter to discover monthly inspiration on how you can level up your family culture, and become a better parent, a better spouse, and build a stronger family.
More peace, connection, and fulfillment at home might be just one email away!