Finding Identity Through Navigating A Faith Crisis with Thomas McConkie
Hey guys! Chris and Melissa here, we’re bringing you a really big conversation today. One that is difficult for many families to navigate. According to research, one component that makes up a strong family is shared spirituality. But what happens when a family member steps away from your faith?
Research shows that last year, for the first time ever, Gallup reported America’s membership in houses of worship dropped to 47%. A significant difference from the 50% reported in 2018 and even farther from 70% in 1999. This is more than just numbers. For individuals and families, this can be a really challenging dynamic.
Today we have a thought-provoking conversation with Thomas McConkie. Thomas teaches courses on mindfulness and adult development through the Lower Lights organization in Salt Lake City. Where seekers of diverse faith orientations can discover new depths and heights in their evolving identity. Thomas takes us on his journey of developing his faith by leaning into the doubt he felt at a young age.
From Christianity to Buddhism and back to Christianity 20 years later, Thomas has unique insight into the root of a faith crisis. Listen in as Thomas talks about the importance of identity and how it’s the questions we ask that lead us to who we really are. He talks about the transformational power that doubt has and how it can help you find a deeper quality of faith (if you let it). You’ll get practical tips and practices for navigating doubt in your own life, as well as what you can do if there is a faith struggle within your family.
Join us as we discuss the healthy ways your family can grow together and how you can bring a deeper sense of belonging to your kids even if they’ve strayed from the path.
To find the resources we talked about in this episode, check out the links below!
More Of What’s Inside:
- The reason behind a faith crisis
- Finding the balance between stability and change
- Exercising caution when navigating an identity crisis
- Allowing yourself to be uncomfortable
- Embracing your change to understand others better
- Leaning into doubt as an indicator of growth
- Transformational doubt vs. dangerous doubt
- Practical tips to handling your doubt
- Finding the wisdom in doubt
- Why doubt is important for faith
- How mindfulness can help your family
- And much more!
- Book: https://www.amazon.com/Navigating-Mormon-Faith-Crisis-Developmental
- Podcast: https://www.mindfulnessplus.org/
- Website: https://lowerlightswisdom.org/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 – What we cover today!
- 0:42 – Introducing Thomas McConkie
- 2:37 – Why a faith crisis happens
- 7:46 – Understanding the nature of humans
- 11:38 – What questions can reveal about ourselves
- 16:24 – Connecting to discomfort in a deeper way
- 20:59 – How to help others who may be doubting
- 23:41 – Red flag indicators for dangerous doubt
- 28:16 – How doubt has played a role in Thomas’ life
- 32:33 – Creating space for people going through their journey
- 35:58 – Meditation benefits in the home
- 41:34 – Uniting as a family past beliefs
- 48:04 – The importance of wanting each other
- 52:11 – Where to connect with Thomas
- 53:14 – Closing thoughts
Follow or Subscribe now wherever you listen to podcast!
Don’t Know where to start? Start here!
There are many ways you can take back your family, but one of the best ways to begin is to TAKE BACK YOUR FAMILY’S TIME.
A huge challenge facing families today is the overwhelm of so many things demanding our time and attention. This complete guide will help you discover and decide what is most important and meaningful to your family, and then start living that way!