Living Your Values: Building a Strong Family Theme and Identity
Every year, our family chooses a word, a scripture, and a quote that serves as a guide for our decisions and actions. We have hinted at this process on the podcast over the years but we have never made a full episode breaking down the full process until today! This fun and easy experience has been one of the most transformative things we have done in our family.
It all started when Melissa and I realized that setting individual goals every year wasn’t working for us. We would always fall off the wagon by January 15th. So instead, we started picking a word or a phrase to live by for the year. This idea evolved into choosing a family theme and it’s been a game-changer for us.
Our family theme for this year is “Simplify and Expand,” and our scripture is Matthew 6:33: “But seek first the Kingdom of God and all his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.”
Our quote for the year is: “Fill your life with lots of experiences, not lots of things. Have incredible stories to tell, not incredible clutter in your closets.”
The process of choosing our family theme is a collaborative one. At the end of each year, we reflect on what worked for us and what didn’t, and we have conversations with our children about the year we’ve had as a family. This year, our goal is to simplify our lives, starting with decluttering our home, so we can have more space for meaningful experiences.
They come prepared with their own scriptures and quotes that align with the theme, and we all vote on the one that embodies the theme the most. It’s a fun and meaningful way for our family to come together and focus on what’s important to us. This simple progress has brought so much joy and connection to our home that we will never go without it!
If you want to start creating your own Family Brand or if you don’t know where to start when it comes to setting goals or intentions as a family, start with our Family Brand Course! Get 20% off now when you use the promo code “PODCAST” at: https://familybrand.com/program
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCGu-7odB6gkPbyXpUIQLkrg
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
NEW: What Culture are You Creating In Your Family?
- Take the Quiz Now! https://familybrand.com/quiz
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:54 This topic has been a long time coming!
- 1:43 Why we have a theme, a scripture and a quote for every year
- 4:29 Our theme, scripture and quote for 2023
- 5:36 Why we are simplifying our lives this year
- 9:44 How this progress can help you live more intentionally
- 14:00 A look inside our Family Brand Program
- 15:12 Why we won’t leave our family future to chance
- 17:00 How we define a strong family
- 19:17 It may be hard work, but it’s always worth it.
- 20:15 How to start creating your Family Brand (20% off discount with promo code: PODCAST)
JOIN OUR FAMILY BRAND NEWSLETTER!
Join our Family Brand newsletter to discover monthly inspiration on how you can level up your family culture, and become a better parent, a better spouse, and build a stronger family.
More peace, connection, and fulfillment at home might be just one email away!