Welcome back! Chris and Melissa here, recently it came to our attention that this past year has had a huge impact on pediatric mental health. Kids just don’t have the tools to deal with stress as adults do. So of course, we had to do some research. We were amazed to find that one of the most powerful things you can do to strengthen your child and build resilience is…
Storytelling! Yes, when your kids say, “can you tell me a story?” or “can you read me this story? They could be asking for a lot more. It may sound simple, and it is!
We’ve seen the truth of this play out even in our own family. The power of stories has built connections, helped children feel safe, and even offered a place of escape for just a little bit. The best part is, there are no storytelling skills required. You don’t need to be good at telling stories, you just need to start! Supporting evidence has shown that even just thirty minutes of storytelling decreases stress hormones like cortisol and increases oxytocin, or the bonding hormone.
In this episode, we give practical tips on how you can powerfully show up and support your kids through stressful and overwhelming times. We discuss the effects of real stories versus fiction and the benefits they both offer. You will also hear the best way to connect with teenagers through stories, some of our go-to prepared stories, and even why a small history lesson can help de-stress your kids
Being a kid is harder now than it was even five years ago, but when you hit play you’ll hear our tips and tricks on how you can incorporate stories into your own lives. We believe examples of courage, resilience, and overcoming obstacles through storytelling is your best bet at raising a more resilient and happier kid. So, tell some stories this week, have fun with it. We will be doing the same!
For more information on the resources and articles we talked about or to connect with us, check out the links below.
More of What We Talk About:
- The decline of mental health in kids
- How to build and strengthen resilience
- The power of YOUR stories
- Creating the connection your child needs
- Why there is a decline in kid’s mental health
- Finding stories that teach lessons
- Taking the stress off through stories
- Building your family’s narrative
- Telling stories that work with your kid’s age
- How you can benefit from your stories
- And much more!
- Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/fashion/the-family-stories-that-bind-us-this-life.html
- Article: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/childrens-hospital-colorado-declares-state-of-emergency-for-pediatric-mental-health
- Article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-stories-our-lives/202104/remembering-pandemic-time
- Article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-stories-our-lives/202106/have-kids-run-out-resilience
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:42 – Here’s what we cover
- 4:46 – Being proactive with your kid’s mental health
- 8:31 – The stories you should be telling
- 10:43 – From chronic stress to overwhelm
- 12:57 – Why you can rely on others stories
- 15:36 – How history can help
- 18:21 – Practical tips for starting this in your family
- 20:41 – Takeaways for this week
Subscribe now wherever you listen to podcast!
YOU REALLY CAN HAVE THE FAMILY OF YOUR DREAMS.
Join our community to discover how simple it is to create more love, joy and connection in your home with your family.