The Power of Commitment: How Our Family Embraced Chris’s Bodybuilding Challenge
Hey, Family Brand community! Today, we’re diving into a topic that might seem a little off the beaten path for our podcast, but trust me, it’s deeply intertwined with our core values. We’re talking about Chris’s recent journey into the world of bodybuilding.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. Bodybuilding? How does that fit into the Family Brand concept? Well, as Chris and I delved deeper into his journey, it became clear that this wasn’t just about flexing muscles; it was about commitment, discipline, and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
Chris’s fascination with health and fitness began in high school, sparked by weightlifting sessions with his older brother. Over the years, this interest evolved, encompassing not just strength and fitness, but also nutrition, holistic health, and overall well-being. And while Chris had always toyed with the idea of participating in a bodybuilding competition, it remained just that—an idea. That is until he was challenged to set a date and commit.
Commitment. That’s the first lesson here. It’s one thing to talk about our dreams and another to actively pursue them. Chris’s decision to compete wasn’t just about showcasing his physique; it was a testament to the power of setting a goal and seeing it through. And in true Family Brand fashion, this journey became a family affair. From meal preps to gym sessions, we were all in it together.
But it wasn’t all smooth sailing. There were moments of doubt, days when the rigorous training and strict diet seemed too daunting. Yet, Chris drew strength from various sources—memories of his late brother Scott, who ignited his passion for fitness, and his nephew Bradley, with whom he shared countless conversations about health. Their spirits were a guiding force, reminding Chris of the bigger picture.
Another key takeaway? The importance of accountability. By sharing his goal with family, friends, and even our podcast community, Chris created a network of supporters who held him to his word. It’s a strategy we often discuss on the show—when you vocalize your intentions, you’re more likely to follow through.
And while Chris has decided not to compete again, this experience has ignited a new passion. He’s now on a mission to explore the limits of his body, combining strength training with running—a combination he’s never tried before. It’s a reminder that our journeys are ever-evolving, and there’s always a new challenge waiting around the corner.
P.S: For those curious to see Chris’s transformation, head over to his Instagram @ChrisCarterSmith to witness the culmination of months of hard work. And if you’re inspired by his story, remember, it’s never too late to chase your dreams. Hit play to hear our full conversation and discover the lessons we’ve learned along the way.
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCGu-7odB6gkPbyXpUIQLkrg
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
NEW: What Culture are You Creating In Your Family?
- Take the Quiz Now! https://familybrand.com/quiz
- Chris on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chriscartersmith/
- Book- ‘Mind Your Mindset’ by Michael Hyatt: https://riverside.fm/dashboard/studios/show-TbXwS/recordings/42d4ee96-52db-47df-ba74-7a66179dba3a?share-token=a1ac6efffc9b42b16b8a&content-shared=recording
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 00:42 Introduction to today’s episode and celebrating Chris’s most recent accomplishment
- 01:21 Chris talks about his passion for fitness and strength
- 03:29 Through Chris’s client, Optimal Health Systems peaked his interest for bodybuilding
- 06:38 Chris talks about commitment and what we are really being committed to
- 08:37 Are we capable of doing hard things?
- 10:58 Chris talks about pushing through doubt and wanting to quit training
- 12:58 The mindset behind Chris making the decision to start bodybuilding
- 14:12 The lies and excuses that we buy into when it comes to making decisions
- 17:05 Chris talks about daily rhythms that anybody can change
- 20:04 Small steps everyday in a new direction help shape and form new habits
- 26:04 Chris talks about his show and the highlights from it
- 32:03 Chris shares about how useless comparison is
- 33:40 If you are striving and committed, you’ve already won!
- 39:22 What Chris learned during this process
- 41:44 Final encouragement to those thinking about committing to a new challenge!
JOIN OUR FAMILY BRAND NEWSLETTER!
Join our Family Brand newsletter to discover monthly inspiration on how you can level up your family culture, and become a better parent, a better spouse, and build a stronger family.
More peace, connection, and fulfillment at home might be just one email away!