The Surprising Things You Learn From a Family Personality Test
Hey, Family Brand community! Today we’re diving deep into a topic that’s been on our mind for a while: the power of personality tests in strengthening family bonds.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. Personality tests? Really? But hear me out. Chris and I have been exploring various personality assessments, and the insights we’ve gained have been nothing short of transformative for our family dynamics.
We’ve all seen those quizzes and tests floating around the internet, claiming to reveal our deepest traits and tendencies. While we’re by no means experts in the field, we’ve found a couple that have truly resonated with us. But here’s the catch: it’s not about boxing ourselves into a specific category or letting a test define us. Instead, it’s about understanding our strengths, acknowledging our shadows, and using that knowledge to foster deeper connections with our kids.
The Enneagram has been a game-changer for our family. From our first introduction by a dear friend to hearing the creator, Ian Morgan Kroms, speak about it, we’ve been captivated. The Enneagram doesn’t just label you with a number; it delves into your core motivations and offers insights into how you can thrive. Recognizing these traits has allowed us to appreciate our differences and leverage our strengths in our relationship.
But it’s not just about us. We’ve introduced our three oldest kids to the StrengthsFinder assessment, and the results have been eye-opening. It’s given us a window into their unique strengths and how they view the world. For example, discovering that competition is a driving force for Chris, Tate, and Tanner has helped us approach family games with a new perspective. Instead of potential conflict, we see an opportunity for growth and understanding.
The overarching lesson here? It’s not about the tests themselves, but the self-awareness and understanding they bring. As parents, one of our greatest responsibilities is to help our children discover their innate gifts and talents. By leaning into our strengths and embracing our unique qualities, we can create a family environment where everyone thrives.
So, whether you’re a skeptic or a personality test enthusiast, I encourage you to give it a try. Dive deep, explore, and let the journey of self-discovery strengthen your family bonds.
P.S: Hit play to hear our full conversation and check out the links below to find all the tests you can take together today!
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCGu-7odB6gkPbyXpUIQLkrg
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
NEW: What Culture are You Creating In Your Family?
- Take the Quiz Now! https://familybrand.com/quiz
- Book- ‘The Story of You: An Enneagram Journey to Becoming Your True Self’ by Ian Morgan Cron: https://amzn.to/46wpGtN
- Strengths Finder Test: https://www.gallup.com/cliftonstrengths/en/254033/strengthsfinder.aspx
- Enneagram Test: https://www.truity.com/test/enneagram-personality-test?ppcga=fixed&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-6oBhBaEiwAHv1QvDwIUOgRiWqa0I4Ce2gtqfu1WCrfL6jgLevMNY14kYhiFW602NSTKhoCQZYQAvD_BwE
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 00:00 Introduction to today’s conversation all on the benefits of personality tests for the family
- 01:12 The caution behind personality tests is to not let the results define who you are
- 02:37 Learning how to become aware that you think differently than other people is powerful
- 04:09 Melissa talks about the Enneagram, what it is, and why they like it
- 05:42 Melissa talks about the rating system of the Enneagram
- 07:47 Chris talks about another personality assessment by Gallup
- 10:00 Learning to lean into your strengths to improve your weak areas
- 12:00 How much time are we spending understanding who we are and our gifts?
- 13:26 How personality tests are a great way to better prepare our kids for the future
- 15:09 We obsess more about our weaknesses than we do improving our strengths
- 16:54 Never take for granted the opportunity to be a personal assessment for people around you
- 17:27 Resources on personal assessment tests + a great review from our listeners!
JOIN OUR FAMILY BRAND NEWSLETTER!
Join our Family Brand newsletter to discover monthly inspiration on how you can level up your family culture, and become a better parent, a better spouse, and build a stronger family.
More peace, connection, and fulfillment at home might be just one email away!