The Top Reasons Couples Seek Counseling And How To Fix Them with Niki Bennett, LCSW
Welcome back to another Family Brand Podcast! Melissa here, I wanted to do a solo episode this week with my good friend and licensed therapist Niki Bennett. When Chris and I were piecing our marriage back together, therapy was one of our saving graces, but it’s hard to know how or when to even start. Today we dig into the big questions about therapy and all its benefits.
Join us as Niki shares her journey of becoming a therapist and the passion she found for helping others sort through the difficult times in life. Oftentimes hard relationships are defined as such because someone is “bad at communication” but Niki has a different point of view. Learn how 75% of our communication is non-verbal and how the little ways we react to each other can come off with a completely different message than we mean.
Listen in as we talk about the top reasons couples get marriage counseling, good signs to find in a therapist, finding the blind spots in your life, and even how therapy can affect your whole family. Niki gives practical advice on communicating more effectively, being open to feedback, the words you don’t want to say when talking something out and so much more!
You’ll find nothing but encouragement and accountability in this episode because when it comes down to it, you aren’t alone in your marriage struggles, but you CAN choose to work on them and fix them. For more resources or to connect with Niki, check out the links below!
More Of What’s Inside:
- Finding purpose in the Himalayas
- Dispelling the myth of “bad at communication”
- The signs of a good therapist
- What it means to be congruent in your marriage
- Therapy isn’t just for broken people
- Practical tips for the crises in your marriage
- Setting expectations for your kids
- Why it is ok to ask for help
- Connecting with those who will empathize
- Finding the blind spots in your life
- The words you DON’T say when communicating effectively
- And much more!
Connect with Niki:
- Website: http://www.ascentcoachingandtherapy.com/
- Instagram: @backseatdriverpodcast
- Instagram: @blessed.mess.therapist
- Email: http://firstname.lastname@example.org/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 – What we cover today!
- 0:53 – Welcome Niki Bennett
- 3:30 – How Niki became a licensed therapist
- 7:16 – The top reasons couples start therapy
- 11:50 – For those who are nervous to get help
- 16:13 – Practical advice for a marriage crisis
- 22:08 – Niki’s fertility journey
- 24:18 – Niki’s advice for YOU
- 27:19 – What communicating effectively looks like
- 33:52 – Where to connect with Niki
- 34:17 – Closing thoughts
Follow or Subscribe now wherever you listen to podcasts!
Don’t Know where to start? Start here!
There are many ways you can take back your family, but one of the best ways to begin is to TAKE BACK YOUR FAMILY’S TIME.
A huge challenge facing families today is the overwhelm of so many things demanding our time and attention. This complete guide will help you discover and decide what is most important and meaningful to your family, and then start living that way!