What To Do When No One In Your Family is Getting Along
You know when your family starts to feel less like family and more like enemies in war? That can sound dramatic, but when contention is high in your house, you know exactly what feeling we are talking about.
Welcome back to another episode of the Family Brand Podcast! Chris and Melissa here, and this week we want to invite you into an honest conversation about what to do when no one in your family is getting along.
When we first moved to Hawaii in the winter of 2020, there was a season where the kids didn’t have many friends and neither did we. We spent a lot of time together, but with the stress of moving and being away from our normal lives and duties, we all started to feel out of sync.
We started to notice the kids fighting more, trash-talking during games was at an all-time high, and tension was becoming the norm.
When we moved back to the mainland we were ready to get ahead of the emotional rollercoaster but even with a plan in place, we found the contention and emotions that come with moving and readjusting start to set in again.
Like we always say, it takes long term vision, courage, and commitment to create a family culture where everyone is empowered to thrive. Seasons such as this are where you put the pedal to the medal, and start living out (or fighting for) the culture you really want in your home.
Hit play to hear how we are navigating this in our own family, along with three incredible tips we got recently from our church on this very topic. We hope this episode leaves you empowered and motivated to be the “peacekeeper” in your family along with the practical tools you need to start today!
PS: Did you know one of our goals this year is to help equip more families like yours? For more resources and to follow our journey, follow us on Instagram! Scroll down to see more of our content.
More Of What’s Inside:
- When to call a family meeting
- Culture is a feeling more than anything
- Helping your kids identify emotions
- Troubleshooting with your family
- When trash talk goes too far
- Taking away the “fuel” to fights
- Responding vs. reacting
- Taking responsibility is key
- Perfection is never the goal
- And much more!
- Three Tips for Less Contention in Your Family Article: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ftsoy/2022/03/04_three-tips-for-less-contention-in-your-family?lang=eng
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCGu-7odB6gkPbyXpUIQLkrg
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:53 Welcome back!
- 1:24 What life has been like in the Smith home lately
- 2:10 Sometimes moving your family isn’t all fun and games
- 6:37 Disgusting phases from culture
- 7:22 What to do when you know things have to change
- 8:42 Not all “hard talks” have to be serious
- 12:50 How to use your Family Vision statement to bring peace
- 15:06 Refusing to argue
- 17:14 How prayer can change the atmosphere in your family
- 18:58 A fun game that will help your family learn emotional control
- 21:30 What is the feeling you want to have in your home?
Follow or Subscribe now wherever you listen to podcasts!
Don’t Know where to start? Start here!
There are many ways you can take back your family, but one of the best ways to begin is to TAKE BACK YOUR FAMILY’S TIME.
A huge challenge facing families today is the overwhelm of so many things demanding our time and attention. This complete guide will help you discover and decide what is most important and meaningful to your family, and then start living that way!