How You Can Show Up For Others In Times Of Grief with Taylor and Chris Pierce
TRIGGER WARNING: In this episode, our guests share their experiences with grief and the traumatic loss of their son. If you have recently lost a loved one or a child and you are still in the grieving process we invite you to go back and listen to our past episodes and come back to this one when it feels right for you.
Hey guys! Chris and Melissa here, since moving to Hawaii we have had the chance to meet so many amazing people and hear their incredible stories. One couple in particular, who live right down the street from us, Chris and Taylor Pierce, have a story that has blown us away. They have experienced a tremendous amount of grief throughout their marriage. Frankly, a lot more grief than anyone should have to go through in life. Through miscarriages, a lost baby, and just last year the passing of their 8-year-old son, Griff.
In today’s episode, we have a deep and honest conversation about grief and how you can support those who may be going through a difficult time. One of our mottos is “Smith’s show up for people”, but when it comes to loss and grief it’s hard to say what that looks like. We talk about Chris and Taylor’s everlasting courage and their journey navigating loss through difficult pregnancies and miscarriages to the joy of adopting and growing their family. You’ll hear the inspiring story of Griff, a 4-year-old who lived life to the fullest and always wore his heart on his sleeve.
Join us as Chris and Taylor speak about their son Griff and how they took every chance they could to strengthen their family and give Griff the best life he could possibly have. You’ll hear their advice on how you can best show up for those who are grieving as well as the different ways that people supported them through their loss. Grieving is a complex process that shows up differently for everyone. Chris and Taylor talk about how they work through this together as a team and a family, and how one of the most impactful things you can do is listen.
We are so thankful and honored that Chris and Taylor were willing to tell us their story and we are so inspired by the bright and lasting legacy of light who is Griff. Our hope for today’s episode is that you are able to better support the ones you love through any grieving process.
To follow more of our journey, check out the links below!
More of What We Talk About:
- Showing up for others in a time of grief
- Miscarriages, adoptions, and pregnancy
- Dealing with a year of hospital visits
- The moment they realized they needed a change
- How showing up manifests differently for everyone
- The power of just showing up
- Helping children through grief
- Sayings that are not helpful
- Why you shouldn’t assume, but ask
- Listening to their stories of loved ones lost
- Understanding the longevity of grief
- Giving yourself grace under grief
- And much more!
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 – What we cover today
- 1:57 – Introducing Chris and Taylor
- 6:56 – Why we wanted to tell this story
- 9:26 – Taylor and Chris’ journey with pregnancy
- 14:56 – The first sign of issues with Griff
- 20:17 – Taking advantage of the time they had left
- 24:53 – Finding the courage to take back their family
- 29:07 – Creating a good life for Griff
- 34:43 – Remembering Griff
- 39:01 – The time before Griff passed away
- 44:49 – Taking him to the hospital for the last time
- 49:36 – Knowing that this time would be different
- 54:02 – The blessing of spirituality
- 58:41 – Dealing with grief during a pandemic
- 1:03:06 – The small things that mattered
- 1:07:56 – What not to do in times of grief
- 1:11:37 – What you can/should ask people in need
- 1:15:43 – Showing up is longterm
- 1:20:14 – Taylor and Chris’ advice to those in grief
- 1:25:03 – Giving space to family and grieve how they need
- 1:29:57 – Working through grief with your spouse
- 1:33:20 – Grieving as a family
- 1:38:18 – Closing thoughts and advice
Follow or Subscribe now wherever you listen to podcast!
Don’t Know where to start? Start here!
There are many ways you can take back your family, but one of the best ways to begin is to TAKE BACK YOUR FAMILY’S TIME.
A huge challenge facing families today is the overwhelm of so many things demanding our time and attention. This complete guide will help you discover and decide what is most important and meaningful to your family, and then start living that way!