Reviving The Family Dinner: Why Eating Together Is Important with Karlie Burnham
All great change in America begins at the dinner table. – Ronald Reagan
Think of the best meal you’ve ever had…
Do you remember how it tasted? Maybe how it made you feel? Who you were with? That feeling of satisfaction not only from good food but from being surrounded by friends and family is hard to beat.
The good news is, gathering around the table doesn’t have to be reserved just for special occasions. In a world of disconnection, there is one location your family can always connect, and it’s right in your own home!
Hey guys! Melissa here, our guest today Karlie Burnham is an author, mother of five boys, and a passionate advocate for gathering around the dinner table. What started out as a personal interest has evolved into a deep relationship and understanding of the benefits family meals can bring. Studies show that sitting down for a meal twice or even once a week can improve your family’s health, connection, and language skills just to name a few.
Listen in as Karlie takes us through the process of creating a good family dinner and how it doesn’t have to be a big meal to be meaningful. The benefits of having dinner together go beyond just the food. Karlie talks about the importance of creating a space where questions are encouraged and conversation is open and safe. As well as how you can use it as a gauge for your child’s emotional wellbeing.
Whether it’s the pressure of cooking, schedules, disengagement, or picky eaters, Karlie has practical tips to help you take the stress out of mealtime and cultivate a genuine connection between you and your family.
For more resources or to connect with Karlie, check out the links below!
More Of What’s Inside:
- The importance of eating together
- Peer orientation vs. parent orientation
- Why social media doesn’t replace a connection with kids
- How to get your kids to eat more fruits and vegetables
- Learning new skills during meals (Like sitting still!)
- The importance of mealtime on language
- How to include even the pickiest of eaters
- Navigating food sensitivity for the whole family
- How to add more color and fun to every meal
- What it means to cultivate true connection around a table
- Why having base meals can set you up for success
- How to access Karlie’s recipes!
- Don’t forget to leverage your crockpot or instantpot
- And much more!
- Email: http://email@example.com/
- Insta: @karlieburnhambooks
- Website: http://karliescorner.com/
- Website: https://thefamilydinnerproject.org/
- Book: https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Laugh-Talk-Family-Playbook/dp/1641701641
- Book: https://www.amazon.com/Surprising-Power-Family-Meals-Healthier/dp/1586421131
- Book: https://www.amazon.com/Hold-Your-Kids-Parents-Matter/dp/0375760288
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 – What we cover today!
- 0:42 – Welcome Karlie Burnham
- 1:36 – How Karlie became passionate about family dinner
- 6:39 – The process of family dinner
- 8:26 – What your child needs to connect
- 10:27 – The link between nutrition and connection
- 12:46 – Lessons from the dinner table
- 15:58 – How mealtime can affect language skills
- 18:40 – Tackling picky eaters and overeating
- 23:39 – Tips to overcome your biggest obstacle
- 27:47 – Crossing the threshold and focusing on family
- 30:36 – How to make mealtime more meaningful
- 34:31 – Reading the emotional temperature of your child
- 37:17 – What dinners from around the world can teach us
- 42:35 – Karlie’s advice for you and where to find her
- 45:00 – Closing thoughts
Follow or Subscribe now wherever you listen to podcast!
JOIN OUR FAMILY BRAND NEWSLETTER!
Join our Family Brand newsletter to discover monthly inspiration on how you can level up your family culture, and become a better parent, a better spouse, and build a stronger family.
More peace, connection, and fulfillment at home might be just one email away!